70% of shopping carts go to limbo!
This tragical number is very common in ecommerce. Easiness and the little effort of shopping in the Internet is the main cause why most orders are never completed.
The reasons behind this may vary depending on the type of store, but most significant reasons are:
- Customer checking the total price of the order (perhaps comparing shipping costs among various sites).
- Customer changes his/her mind before hitting the “pay” button.
- Human indecisiveness in the last second: “I will think about it and come back later”, “not sure if I need this, should check or ask someone”.
Traditional stores have very efficient managers and assistants to help and guide the customer towards the completion of the sale before s/he becomes indecisive. Sadly, we don’t have or we can’t do this in our online stores, even if many solutions try to fill this gap (chat, email, telephone…), nothing compares to being in front of the customer.
We, at Shopfrogs, developed AbandonApp to bring back customers who left their cart orphaned and filled with shiny goods.
Today, we have more than 500 installations of the app and I would like to share some interesting figures:
- 111,052 emails have been sent so far.
- $ 713,481.34 recovered from abandoned carts!
In other words: AbandonApp recovers (on average) $ 6.42 per sent email! WooW!
Some stores are more efficient than others due to many factors:
- The goods they sell. It’s easier to sell t-shirts than boats in the internet
- The email template. The more effort you put into the email AbandonApp sends, the more efficient it will be recovering lost carts (attractive design, including offers, a nice text…)
- The amount of customers they have. Everything works better with a great audience.
- Other direct and non direct issues (competitors, prices, difficulty to complete orders…).
In one of our stores AbandonApp has sent a total of 3,038 emails and recovered $ 41,428.59 averaging $ 13.6 per sent email. This is 2 times the average, but we are not the best: there are true marketing gurus out there doing much better.
Pure data based on AbandonApp plans and performance: (average)
- Unlimited Plan: recovers $ 58.89 per $ 1 invested*1. It recovers an average of $ 3.22 per sent email*2 (this plan is used by huge traffic stores with an immense volume of email traffic).
- 1,200 emails/month Plan: recovers $ 12.36 per $ 1 invested, recovering $ 1.48 per sent email. This plan was implemented 6 months after launching so there’s few stores and little data to analyze. Will end up recovering $ 45 per $ 1 invested.
- 500 emails/month Plan: this plan recovers $ 29.21 per invested dollar and recovers $ 15.82 per sent email (wow!). This is the most popular plan, as is installed in almost half of the stores, thus the data should be more accurate.
- *1 This is calculated using the total amount paid to AbandonApp (if a store has been using the 1,200 emails plan for 14 months: 14*45$=630$)
- *2 This is calculated by dividing the total revenue recovered by the total emails sent using AbandonApp.